Why is Dental Hygiene important?
Your dental health is an indicator of your overall general health. Healthy dental hygiene habits, like proper brushing and flossing and regular dentist visits, are the best ways to prevent major dental problems with your teeth and periodontal gum disease. Recent studies have linked oral health issues to systemic diseases such as coronary artery disease, premature birth, low birth weight, and complications with diabetes.
What is included in a Dental Hygiene check-up?
Each of our dental hygienists are highly trained and licensed to perform comprehensive, individualized oral exams. At every visit, a member of our dental hygienist team will:
- Review and update your medical history
- Perform a thorough gum pocket check – 6 points per tooth
- Take all necessary digital X-rays
- Take updated digital photos
- Perform comprehensive scaling and root planing both above and below your gum line
- Polish your teeth with air and prophy paste – special care will be given to cosmetic restorations
- Perform a tooth by tooth video camera check
- Clean your teeth
- Irrigate your gums with medicine if needed
- Apply fluoride if needed
- Review and update oral hygiene instruction
- Check for TMJ and bite problems
- Give Zoom!® Whitening boosts